From:
Dina Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:10:50 -0400
Cathy,
What an interesting and annoying and tricky situation.  I have a former employee who likes to show up to hang out.  The last couple of times I have made very clear that we are quite busy and have no time for guests.  He usually takes the hint.  The next time he shows up however I plan to explain that it is counter to our HR manual to have guests in the employee lounge etc -- which it is.

Are there stated museum rules that the visitor could be reminded about?  Is the visitor breaking any of them by lingering on the site.  If the individual is disturbing others then that is what no doubt should be emphasized.  When I have challenging visitors I try to take them aside out of the public eye to have a conversation with them -- that sometimes calms them down.

Just a thought -- could this person be a protected class? I.e are they some how disabled?  How do they pay for their entry to the museum?  perhaps they are already on social services radar and someone from that department could offer insights.  Just a thought -- refusing service is such a slippery slope -- good luck.

Dina

________________________________
Dina Rose Friedman
Site Director, Sunnyside Restoration

Historic Hudson Valley
150 White Plains Road
Tarrytown, NY 10591
(914) 591-8763 Ext. 13

>>> Cathy Dean <[log in to unmask]> 10/13/2009 10:38 AM >>>
Dear Listers,

One of our historic sites has recently had a problem with a visitor who is
disruptive and difficult during tours and programs.  Said visitor is not
threatening, per se, but does sometimes intimidate our guides and gets in
the way of enjoyment of the site by other visitors.  This visitor has come
to the site on multiple occasions, and has stayed for hours at a time (much
longer than an average visitor).  Our staff are afraid that this person may
return, and would like to have a plan in place to deal with the situation.

Do any of you have policies or procedures for asking disruptive (but not
physically dangerous) visitors to leave?  We don't feel like this is a
situation where the police necessarily need to be involved, at least not at
this point, but we also feel that we need to find some way to assert our
right to refuse service to visitors if deemed necessary by staff.

Many thanks,

Catherine E. Dean

Curator of Collections

Preservation Virginia