From:
Penny Leveritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:37:20 -0400
I would also add the risk of photographers backing up to get a better picture and bumping into some other object, damaging it in the process. I have been a museum photographer for over 20 years and I have done this myself, so visitors could certainly make this mistake.

I do think that even though the light sensitivity issue is valid under certain conditions, visitors don't buy it. It can certainly be one of the reasons, but not the only reason.

I would also suggest that institutions give a little more on their websites insofar as free images for personal use. We are finally making that transition. We are not giving away the farm, but we are in the process of adding several new "themes" of images a year that people can zoom in on and print out and use for powerpoint presentations, but not publish. And we plan to make it very easy for website visitors to find out how to get more information on getting other images or getting larger images for publishing, etc.

Penny Leveritt
Visual Resources Manager
Historic Deerfield, Inc.