From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 14:34:28 +0000
I'm not a lawyer, however my understanding is:

In the UK (and probably throughout the European Union) the situation would be that the visitor owned the physical photograph and owned copyright in the photograph.

However visitors are usually admitted to museums under terms and conditions.  These may include the conditions under which they can take photographs and how they can use any photographs.   These conditions may be displayed in the museum or printed on the back of tickets etc., but they may not have to be displayed (local laws will define whether or not they have to be displayed).  Often these terms and conditions will say something like "photographs may be taken only for personal use or private research".  By taking photographs when these conditions apply your colleague will have essentially entered into a contract/agreement only to use them for the permitted purposes.

Bear in mind that the contract/agreement will be entered into under the laws of the place where the museum is situated.  In Europe many state (including local government) institutions are able to make regulations or bylaws which have the force of law and like all laws ignorance of them won't be a defence.

So essentially the issue is not copyright but the terms and conditions under which the photographs were permitted to be taken.

The publishers lawyers are the people best placed to provide advise on what permissions are required.

Trevor Reynolds, Registrar
English Heritage, 37 Tanner Row, York, YO1 6WP
+44 (0) 1904 601905