From:
Jennifer Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:07:48 -0700
Greetings, all!

Here at Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum, we recently moved from having teachers physically pick up our kits to mailing them. Ours are a little different from the traditional kits with reproduced objects etc.--because we specialize in media and popular culture, we use our kits to circulate media that can be difficult or expensive for teachers to acquire (rare music and movies) and that copyright doesn't allow us to disseminate over the web. We just finished the transition late last spring, and I am already seeing circulation rise. We will send the kits anywhere in the US, although most usage is Pacific NW. Like Oklahoma, Washington is a big enough state that there are plenty of teachers for whom mailing is the only practical way to get the materials. We used to be able to pay postage both ways, but due to budget changes we now ask teachers to pay the return postage. We do provide the return envelope and mailing label to make it as easy as possible. The downside is that we have had trouble with a couple of teachers returning on time, but that could happen with drop-offs too.

One thing we did do that I think is helpful to teachers is that we put a very specific list of materials and a photograph on our website so they know in advance what they are getting. The biggest challenge is getting them to complete an evaluation and I am still looking for ways to get better responses.

Jennifer Hammond

Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum

Seattle, Washington