From:
Heather McClenahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:58:17 -0600
We have an outreach suitcase program with one suitcase for each "era"
of our history. For years, docents took them to schools. Recently,
though, we've been letting teachers check out the materials. We live
in a small community, so they just drive over here and pick them up.
So far, we've had good luck with everything being returned.

The kids love the hands-on aspects of the suitcases, such as getting
to try on a real World War II uniform and looking a real piece of
trinitite (even though it's encased in glass). This summer, we hired a
4th grade teacher to go through the suitcases and bring them up to
date, such as putting the slides onto CDs and jumpdrives. She put
together information for teachers on how they help meet state
standards. She also did some vocabulary words and suggested reading
lists that have greatly enhanced the usability.

You can find more information about the program on our website at
http://www.losalamoshistory.org/suitcases.htm. Please let me know if I
can help with any specific questions.

Heather McClenahan, museum assistant/web master
Los Alamos Historical Society
http://www.losalamoshistory.org
PO Box 43
1050 Bathtub Row (Note: same location, new address)
Los Alamos, NM 87544
505-662-6272 (office)
505-470-2912 (cell)