From:
Tori Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 13:51:04 -0500
We have had an ongoing partnership with the Master Gardeners of our county.
They are a branch of the county extension agency, which for us is Davidson
County and the University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service.  Over
the past 10 years, they have re-developed the original garden plot behind
the Croft House, a 3-tiered garden with flowers, vegetables and an orchard.
Over the years they have also developed an herb garden behind the summer
kitchen, an heirloom rose garden, a medicinal plants section, and several
iris beds.  The majority of the seeds utilized in the gardens are heirloom,
all of the vegetables are.  Everything is organic, with companion plants
utilized for pest management.  The gardens are interpreted from 1850-1880
with the educational emphasis being this would have been the family's
primary source of food.

This year, the Master Gardeners took it upon themselves to create and
conduct a series of classes on Gardening 101.  They covered everything from
soil, when to plant, what to plant, caring for your tools, and everything in
between. The classes were designed to show visitors that gardening need not
be a hugely overwhelming project.  Our 1.5 acre garden is an exception, but
small gardens at home are becoming more and more popular in this current
economy. The classes were well attended and seemed to be enjoyed by
everyone, attendees and instructors.

The gardeners are responsible for organizing their own work days.  Those
typically are Mon, Wed and Sat mornings.  Visitors are welcome to walk
through the gardens any time, and encouraged to ask questions of the
gardeners as they work.

We love the fact we have this partnership, and what the Master Gardeners
provide to us is priceless.  If you want info on this group, you can check
out their website at www.dcmg.org  To see specifically the project they are
working on at the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere, click on Volunteer Projects,
the Grassmere Historic Farm.

Tori Mason
Historic Farm Manager
Nashville Zoo at Grassmere