From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:18:11 -0400
I would not do it. We don't have a guideline against this, but my concern would be as you mentioned - the perceived endorsement.  Think of all the grant applications that specifically say they will not support political campaign activities. I would be concerned potential grantors would not look kindly on this event.

Perhaps if you were not new at holding functions, and already had the reputation as a site for parties, the community might more clearly understand that this type of event is a rental, and not your organization.

You are inspiring me to think about what should be in a rental policy. We don't do a lot of rentals - but what would I do if a group known for unsavory activities wanted to rent our site?

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org
Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog
Facebook / MySpace