From:
CAGE Communications <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:46:31 -0500
*Please excuse cross postings*

CANADIAN ART GALLERY EDUCATORS SYMPOSIUM 2009

Tools for Change: Meeting Future Challenges

Saturday, March 28 – Tuesday, March 31, 2009

National Gallery of Canada and Portrait Gallery of Canada (a program
of Library and
Archives Canada)

Ottawa, Ontario

For more information, please visit http://www.cageart.ca

Children who enter grade one this fall will not be retiring until
2068, if then. No-one can adequately forecast the changes they will
face over their working life and with the current state of the
economy, environmental issues and political unrest, no-one can guess
what the role of the art gallery will be in the future. How do we
prepare ourselves for the changes we will face as art gallery
educators?

This symposium will explore the current climate of change that art
galleries are facing and how we can move forward to create a
sustainable model for the future. Many art gallery educators are
embracing tools and techniques from professionals working outside the
museum in order to not only respond to change but to go forth and meet
future challenges. Presentations from professionals in the fields of
advertising, visitor studies, interpretive planning and academia will
share their expertise to further extend these discussions. We will
gather new ideas to add to our educator's toolbox, reflect on our own
practices as museum and gallery educators and move closer to
actualizing our dreams of making our museums more relevant in our ever
changing communities.

AGENDA

SATURDAY, March 28

6:00 - 8:00 pm   Dinner...Meet and Greet

Location: The Black Thorn, 15 Clarence Street

SUNDAY, March 29

Location: National Gallery of Canada

8:15 – 8:45 am   Registration, Coffee and Tea

8:45 – 9:00 am   Welcome and Opening Remarks

9:00 – 10:30 am   Keynote session: Everything Communicates: How to Visualize
Vision
Speakers: Christina Bagatavicius and Laura Stein, Bruce Mau Design

10:30 – 10:50 am   Break

10:50 – 12:00 pm   Discussion Groups and Feedback on Keynote Session

Facilitators: Christina Bagatavicius and Laura Stein, Bruce Mau Design

12:00 – 1:15 pm   Lunch at the National Gallery Café

1:15 – 2:45 pm   Interpretive Planning and Audience Evaluation

Panel: Jennifer Elliot, Canadian Museum of Civilization; Marianna
Adams, Audience
Focus and Judy Koke, Art Gallery of Ontario

2:45 – 3:00 pm   Break

3:00 – 4:30 pm   Interpretive Planning and Audience Evaluation (cont'd)

4:30 – 6:00 pm   A facilitated debrief of afternoon sessions over wine
and hors d'oeuvres.

Join fellow CAGE delegates for an informal dinner at a local
restaurant or have dinner on your own.

MONDAY, March 30

Location: Portrait Gallery of Canada (a program of Library and Archives)

8:45 – 9:00 am   Coffee and Tea

9:00 – 10:00 am   CAGE Annual General Meeting

10:15 – 11:15 am   CASE Study 1 and discussion
11:15 – 12:15 pm   CASE Study 2 and discussion

12:30 – 2:00 pm   Lunch on your own at local restaurants

2:00 – 3:15 pm   Parking Lot Session

Facilitators: Laurie Burdon, Learning Alternatives

3:15 – 4:45 pm   Site visit to the Parliament Buildings for an "Art Tour"

Join fellow CAGE delegates for an informal dinner at a local
restaurant or have dinner on your own.

TUESDAY, March 31

9:30 – 11:30 am   Portrait Gallery of Canada Vault Tour (Gatineau, Quebec)

12:30 –  2:00 pm   National Gallery of Canada Tour