Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:24:51 -0400
Each year a panel of museum professionals reviews the sites nominated
for Best of the Web awards, and honours the best work in our field.
For background, see http://www.archimuse.com/mw2009/best/

Congratulations to the winners of the Museums and the Web 2009 Best
of the Web Awards!

---------------------------------
** Best Overall**
---------------------------------

Brooklyn Museum Collection
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org

The Panel said:

     * If it's about trying brave things out, then they win. If its
about engaging with audiences in new ways, they win. If it's about
changing the traditional balance of power between museum, audience
and curator, then they win. If it's about really demonstrating
cultural leadership, they win. If it's about making something that
requires audiences to 'stretch' a bit to make the connection, then
they win. If it's about failing sometimes, well, they win too - but
that's part of the risk of what makes their stuff so good.
     * ... not just because of what they have done (fantastic site)
but because they are pointing us in the direction we should all be
taking in the future
     * the trailblazer for where museums might/could/should go in the future.

---------------------------------
** On-line Community or Service **
---------------------------------

winner
Brooklyn Museum Collection, Posse, and Tag! You are It!
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/collections/

The Panel said:

     * successfully integrates social networking and tagging features
in a clear, well-designed, easy to use format
     * set a high standard for all the other community
     * novel use of terms like "posse" and reference to "tag, you're
it" as a game provided the kick of energy and motivation that made me
want to participate
     * Perhaps the first example of collaborative tagging of
collections I've seen that truly "works" from a social perspective
     * The playfulness of "Tag! You're it!" covers up a deep
understanding of what "the social web" is all about. Many other
museums are playing with web2.0, but none (IMO) are actually living
the social web in the way that Brooklyn are.

honourable mention
Flickr Commons
http://www.flickr.com/commons

and

Indicommons
http://www.indicommons.org/

The Panel said:

     * an incredible amount of value-add to the commons
     * successfully champions and actively demonstrates the worth of the Commons
     * This is an excellent example of collaboration across both
professional and community networks.
     * the barriers between the "stuffy old museum" and the one we're
all hoping for are slowly breaking down

---------------------------------
** Educational Site **
---------------------------------

winner
Tate Kids
http://kids.tate.org.uk/

The Panel said:

     * Wonderful interactivity
     * total fun
     * truly teachable moment for color mixing
     * lovely tone and instructions for kids
     * terrific content
     * pushes the envelope beyond any museum kids site I've seen recently
     * I could hardly get back to work after using it

honourable mention
Firefly Watch, Museum of Science, Boston
https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/

The Panel said:

     * well designed, clearly presented
     * appropriate for a wide age range of interested participants
     * an excellent example of how to make a topic that is seemingly
narrow into something engaging and fascinating
     * I found myself wanting to participate when reading personal
stories and encounters
     * I learned new things very quickly

---------------------------------

**  Exhibition **

winner
Click! A Crowd-Curated Exhibition
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/click

The Panel said:

     * took a concept -- "wisdom of the crowds" -- and played it out
     * in the right place at the right time from a user perspective
     * Excellent
     * transparent and clear
     * bridging the space between online and onsite
     * Anyone who found this after the exhibition closed would ask,
"When are they going to do this again?"

---------------------------------
** Innovative or Experimental Site **
---------------------------------

winner
My Yard Our Message
http://myyardourmessage.com/

The Panel said:

     * Awesome ... brilliant job
     * leveraging a local event with national implications
     * the quality of the final slogan boards were as good if not
better than a corporate ad agency
     * the content worked during election season but also stands up
beautifully now, post-election, both in terms of interest and also as
a historical snapshot of the thinking of the time

honourable mention
Astronomy Photographer of the Year (plus complimentary digital
astronomy services)
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/astrophoto

The Panel said:

     * There are a couple of innovations here, especially the concept
of 'astrotagging' (instead of geotagging)
     * I loved this - pretty much everything about it
     * the fact it was done for free using external tools; the (very!)
cunning use of technology
     * a good Flickr collaboration

  ---------------------------------
** Professional's Site**
---------------------------------

winner
CODART.nl
http://www.codart.nl

The Panel said:

     * knits together content, listings, resources and more
     * Graphics did not overwhelm the mission of the site.
     * Very comprehensive.
     * useful even beyond the specific focus of art from the low countries
     * beautifully composed site, a gate to global network of museums
that are presenting Dutch art

---------------------------------
** Podcast (Audio / Video) **
---------------------------------

winner
RWM (Radio web MACBA)
http://rwm.macba.cat

The Panel said:

     * offers an impressive array of podcasts.
     * I like how they have organized the topics
     * each podcast can be listened to in a player on the site
     * in Spanish and Catalan, with transcripts
     * An admirable effort

  ---------------------------------
** Research Site **
---------------------------------

winner
Museum of Jewish Heritage Online Collection
http://collection.mjhnyc.org

The Panel said:

     * simple and easy to use
     * unpretentious
     * You can format the way the site is rendered.
     * Highlights on the homepage lead you into the collection,
providing sharp zoomable images and short or long descriptions

---------------------------------
** Small **
---------------------------------

winner
Museum 2.0
http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/

The Panel said:

     * excellent content
     * anticipates the needs and questions of people all over the museum sector
     * editorial slant gives the site credibility, reach, and
influence far beyond its budget and technical provision
     * punches way above its weight in the museum and gallery
professional sector

---------------------------------
** People's choice **
Chosen by the registrants on conference.archimuse.com

Video Active
http://www.videoactive.eu

For background on the awards, see the  MW2009 conference site.:
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2009/best/
--
J. Trant				[log in to unmask]