From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:22:03 -0700
A little more than ten years ago, before wireless was prevalent, as a Life Trustee of the very historic Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music Hall in Carnegie, Pennsylvania I was responsible for having our building wired for public Internet access computers. Particularly for our historic, and very well-built building, this was not an inexpensive venture. However, it was done and the wired Internet network worked well for several years.

Although that Internet network still exists, the Library Board of Trustees (I left the Board in 2000) has installed a wi-fi system for our Internet access computers. In our case, the wi-fi system (along with all of the Internet computers and network) are managed by a county-wide Electronic Information Network, which operates hundreds of public Internet access computers in about 65 public libraries throughout Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (Metro Pittsburgh).

So, our wi-fi system is managed by a network operated by professionals, with all of the needed software to ensure security.

In your case, you need to find professionals (perhaps your Board members can help you) to set-up a secure mini-network.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >