From:
Ashley McGrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:43:41 -0800
Greetings all,
Members who also participate in other listservs please forgive this
crossposting.

I am forwarding this message from Brent Powell the new chair of PACIN
(some of you may remember him in the same roll years ago as the founding
chair of the organization). We anticipate a new and exciting period full
of innovations and service to the profession and invite your interest
and input.

PACIN -PIC (Packing Art Handling & Crating Information Network, a
Professional Interest Committee of the American Association of Museums)

Dear RC-AAM members,

My name is Brent Powell, PACIN-PIC Chair and I am writing to introduce
our PIC and invite you to participate in the PACIN-PIC Website.
Following several meetings of the PACIN-PIC Steering Committee at the
2008 AAM meeting in Denver, last May, we have been working to
reinvigorate and rebuild our organization’s structure.  One of our
primary focuses has been to make the website more dynamic and effective,
and have it used by a more broadly based group. Our focus is on creating
a network of professionals within the museum industry and promoting the
best standards in knowledge regarding art and artifact handling.

The PACIN-PIC Website (www.pacin.org) is our strongest tool for
networking with colleagues and sharing information. Through it we can
obtain and share current ideas, knowledge and technical advancements, as
well as educational and employment opportunities within the museum
industry.

The PACIN Website has been active for 7 years and we are now introducing
the first in a series of new additions and changes that will broaden its
appeal and usefulness. They are as follows:

“Basics” (a subset of the PACIN Forum) Addressing a range of topics in
which entries will be collaborative in nature. Member/visitor input is
welcomed and essential.

“Forum”  PACIN's new Forum will be inclusive of a variety of content
from technical research, literal nuts and bolts (hardware) of what we do
and other related articles. Call for articles on specific topics will be
presented and all ideas welcomed

“Featured Link”  Another exciting feature on the new website is our
Featured Link. Here we will highlight some of the many valuable
resources already available on the web. Each new Featured Link is
accompanied by a commentary to help place the subject into the context
of the collections-care field.

“Search Engine” This link has been added so as we grow you will be able
to find the information you are really looking for easily.

If you have any ideas, questions or want to share or write to a
particular topic please feel free to contact us. Ashley McGrew is Chair
of our Publications Sub Committee and he can be contacted directly at
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] . Ashley will be posting updates
and questions to your site to share and ask for input to the PACIN
group.

If you would also like to participate or have any questions for our
listserv members please go to our ListServ link at
http://www.pacin.org/listserve.html

A Brief PACIN History:

PACIN is dedicated to building a museum industry network of information
and resources available for the educational dialogue of professionals
interested in the high standards of art and artifact handling. The area
of focus of these standards include packing, crating, shipping,
installation, mount making, rigging, exhibition fabrication, educational
and employment opportunities as well ongoing industry updates of current
technical and material usage.

Our constituency is comprised of museum and gallery professionals
throughout the world from both the institutional as well as the
commercial sector of the industry. These colleagues include preparators,
packers, mountmakers, conservators, registrars, exhibition desig
ners and
the commercial staff with titles reflected in the siwelcome to join PACIN and by doing so, helps us to support and fulfill
our mission.

PACIN has conducted numerous conference sessions and workshops which
have been held at the national and regional AAM meetings as well as
individual programs created for a specific regional area or institution.
Topical subjects have focused on issues related to packing and crating,
shipping standards, airport security, fine art insurance, art-handling
“best practices”, large object rigging, installation hardware and
techniques and proper material usage.

PACIN has developed three publications on packing and crating methods
and materials -- "Soft Packing, Methods and Methodology for the Packing
and Transport of Art and Artifacts", "The Crate Itself, Proven Design
Techniques and Alternative Ideas" and "Technical Drawing Handbook of
Packing and Crating methods." Other publications are currently being
produced focusing on materials and a prospective video with the purpose
for training of best practices in handing art and artifacts.

Originally a task force of the Registrar's Committee of the American
Association of Museums (RC-AAM), PACIN applied for and was granted the
status of Professional Interest Committee by the American Association of
Museums (AAM) in 1997. It remains in this status to the present date
within AAM.

PACIN has been directed by a Steering Committee comprised of museum and
commercial professionals from each region of the United States, and
international representation. In 2008 the group is restructuring to
build a more effective and broader base organizational structure which
will comprise an Advisory Panel made of various professionals across the
industry including preparators, conservators, and registrars with both
institutional and commercial representation.

PACIN is a non-profit, all volunteer group. We are here to give you a
voice, strengthen your knowledge and provide the opportunity to obtain
and share information with others of similar interests across the
country and around the world. To become an active volunteer contact the
PACIN Chair. We look forward to your ideas and involvement.

Again I would like to invite you to look at our new PACIN Website and
thank you for letting me introduce our group to you. If you have any
questions or comments please feel free to contact me
([log in to unmask]) or any of our other PACIN-PIC Steering Committee
members listed on the Website at www.pacin.org.

Brent Powell, PACIN - PIC Chair

Head of Preparation

Asian Art Museum