From:
Tim Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:57:57 -0800
I call them facsimiles or digital surrogates.

Please try not to sneer too much.

Facsimiles have a valuable roll in the museum environment.  In high traffic areas,
they take the brunt of stolen touches.  In uncontrolled historic structures, they
fail instead of the original.  Some collectors will loan (indefinitely) a digital
surrogate of their work, rather than the curator not securing the use of document
for an exhibition.

Tim Vitale
Paper, Photographs &
Electronic Media Conservator
Film Migration (still) to Digital Format
Digital Imaging & Artwork Facsimiles
Preservation & Imaging Consulting
Preservation Associates
1500 Park Avenue
Suite 132
Emeryville, CA 94608
510-594-8277
510-594-8799 fax
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
[Use of the above URL may require a "Yahoo! ID" to download files.]
Albumen website (2001) http://albumen.stanford.edu/
VideoPreservation Website (2007) http://videopreservation.stanford.edu