From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:08:15 -0500
Deb,

I agree fully.  When I was laid off, I would have been insulted with the

book.  I am a professional and know how to find a job.  I was offered

assistance from job councilors if I wanted or needed it, but not given a

"how to" book.  Honestly, after being forced to listen to the presenters

of our layoff "benefits" from HR and the councilors, I could probably

give them lessons if finding a Museum job!  Much of there materials was

completely unhelpful and to general to find another job in this field.

When I was laid off if was very stressful not only because I was losing

my job but because my position was eliminated and I had seniority, I had

to chose if I would bump someone and take their job. I also knew about

it for three months before my last day.  Very hard to be focused and

productive.

Also, no matter how many times someone said, "Your layoff is not a

reflection of your work", it still felt like it.  It was also very hard

when I was looking for work because the economy was not in the toilet

like it is now and prospective employers wanted to know why you were

laid off.  Many think layoffs, especially when not based on seniority,

are related to your quality of work.

You really can't make it "better" for your employees.  No matter how you

spin it, they are still unemployed.

Tracie Evans

Curator of Collections

Sauder Village