From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:30:54 -0800
I can say that I have worked in pretty much every level of collections storage security and it all depends on different factors. If you have electronic RFID type entry, it will create a log so there is really no need for paper. Sign in sheets can be useful, but they are also easily ignored if someone is up to something.

Who has access depends on who needs access, which is dependent on how many collections and storerooms you have and who needs what from each. If you have a room of nothing but Mexican ceramics, a paintings curator likely won't need access. If everything is in one big area, it is easier to monitor and easier to have volunteers and be accompanied.

I personally really do not like volunteers and interns to have unaccompanied access, it is asking for theft or unreported damages (I have seen this repeatedly). If there is a separate room that things can be taken to, like a work room, this can minimize some of the risks while leaving you able to leave the room to do your own work.

If minitering entrance and exit is vital, consider cameras as well. Noone really wants to be spied on the whole time they work, but a camera can give insight at the door in case of incidents ranging from theft to coffee spill.