From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:43:30 -0400
Greetings All,

BackStory--a new call-in public radio show about American history hosted
by historians Peter Onuf, Ed Ayers, and Brian Balogh--is looking for
callers for a show about the veteran in American history. I hope you'll
consider calling in--it takes about eight minutes, and it's recorded,
not live. And please do feel free to pass this along to your patrons,
staff, etc.

Here is the blurb for the Veterans show, which might help you think
about questions/comments:
"Rambo, Elvis Presley, and former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders have
one important thing in common: military service. So who are America’s
veterans? Soldiers travel far away to risk their lives, but how easy is
returning home? How do we welcome veterans back from wars we’ve viewed
unfavorably (think WWII vs. Vietnam)? In 1944, the GI Bill allowed vets
to attend college and buy homes; today, some lawmakers are questioning
the feasibility of full scholarships. What have vets been promised in
the past? How did soldiers deal with the psychological wounds of war in
the days before PTSD? Does military service make for effective political
leaders?"

If you would like to be a caller, please email me ASAP
([log in to unmask]) and I can give you more details. We are recording
calls for this show this Friday, 9/26, from 8-10am. You can learn more
about the show, listen to episodes, make comments, and sign up for our
podcast at www.backstoryradio.org. Hope to hear from you soon!

--
Catherine Moore
Research Assistant