From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:51:34 -0500
Hi Folks

I do not see the need to remove or destroy almost anything in a museum
collection at the expense of losing evidence. Sounds a bit like what Jim
Vaughan of the NTHP said at our last historic house conference (Who Else
Lived Here? Beaumont, TX Nov 2007) - "the tyranny of collections"! Not
everything must receive the same treatment. (See Kykuit II, AASLH Spring
2008). We museum professionals are the experts in preserving artifacts, no
matter what evidence of the past they hold or what form they take.

People were discussing on the list last week how to dispose of champagne or
wine. Why destroy that evidence when you can take the proper storage and
handling precautions?  The McFaddin-Ward House has many bottles with alcohol
or perfume still in it, including Fig Wine produced in 1924 now on exhibit!.
We take precautions. It is separate from other artifacts that would be
susceptible to liquid. Someone might want to test that fig wine one day!

Prior to my tenure, no doubt because there were so many match books, the
tips were clipped off. A particularly special Manning-Bowman Pull-Quick
match dispenser ca. 1924 keeps its flammable tips, which ignite when pulled
out of the dispenser. These flammable things as well as any ammunition are
kept in ammunition boxes. They are fireproof. There is one on eBay right now
120277822878 for $12.99. In other words, I would not recommend throwing out
ammo. US Army ammo boxes are out there and are designed to contain live
rounds in a fireproof metal box.

I guess I am a purist who doesn't want any evidence to disappear if a museum
deems it appropriate to accession that object in the first place. If you are
"stuck" with objects, live ammo, etc. that do not contribute to your mission
or collections policy, ask how did it get there and reconsider how viable
the collection policy is.

Ware