From:
Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:43:45 -0400
At session at AAM this year, a staff member from the Japanese-American
National Museum dealt with this issue in a larger context.  I can't
remember the specific session or presenter's name, and apologize in
advance if I misrepresent what she said...

that said, she talked about the importance of attracting younger
audiences...and in a survey those audiences wanted an anime exhibit.
They decided to do such an exhibit and worked with a young, non-museum
professional artist in developing the exhibit.  He was insistent that
visitors be allowed to photograph in the exhibition.   They resisted a
bit, but relented.  The result:  great publicity on blogs, websites
and in other locations, resulting in incredibly high attendance.  And,
the bonus:  they designed the temporary exhibit so that visitors had
to leave the exhibition through their core exhibition, and found out,
through evaluation, that those visitors who had come for the temporary
exhibition spent an even longer time in the core permanent exhibition.

From that perspective, it seems only a benefit to allow people to
share their perspectives on our work.

Linda

--