From:
Stephen Topfer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:36:27 -0700
Jonathan

the system you describe is very common, if you are concerned about
off gassing I suggest you ask the supplier to install quality
plywood, preferably one made with environmentally friendly adhesives,
often they will cover the wood with either low pile carpet or floor
tile which can have environmental effects as well, when in doubt use
the least volatile adhesives and air the room for as long as possible
after installation.  I've  have installed many similar systems with
no noticeable effect on the storage microclimate.  the better the air
exchange is the more quickly off-gassing will dissipate, you might
ask you building engineer about the rate of exchange in your storage areas.

Stephen

At 01:27 PM 03/10/2007, you wrote:

>Hello list
>
>My museum will be installing a couple of high density storage units, the
>type of shelving that is mounted on carriages and moves by spinning a hand
>crank.
>We are buying a system from Montel.
>The installation method, as it is explained to me, requires the carriages to
>set into a platform that is constructed on the floor.  That platform is to
>be constructed of plywood.
>I was wondering if anyone else has had units like this built with a plywood
>platform.  And if so were there any precautions taken to prevent off gassing
>from the wood.  Is this something to be concerned with?
>
>Thanks for any comments
>Jonathan Bucci
>Hallie Ford Museum of Art
>Willamette University
>Salem, OR

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).
>
>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
>should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).
>

>--
>dangerous content by ESVA, and is
>believed to be clean.

Stephen Topfer