From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:31:04 -0700
Marc,

I spent years in the museum environment succesfully advocating for
metals storage and exhibition cases that were NOT constructed out of
wood.

Also I think that in any experiment that you need to reduce the
variables to a minimum and also strive to make sure that the
preparation of all samples is as identical as you can get - for metals
that means polishing, complete chemical degreasing (no residues!), and
no handling with bare hands or used gloves, and when the coupon or the
replicant object is ready it goes right into the container and does
not sit out in the air. You need to be very diligent and thorough.

How clean is clean? A senior scientist at the Smithsonian once told me
that she would have her interns clean the labware - she would then
analyze it with her XRF and if any trace chemicals appeared they would
clean the labware again, and again.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey