From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:35:56 -0700
Melissa,

I have many years experience in the conservation of silver and have
treated literally many hundreds of historic silver objects.

In my experience the rate of silver tarnishing can be quite variable -
the environment plays a huge part as well as the "type" of silver, its
method of fabrication, and previous history in use and cleaning.

If you do not experience high rates of tarnishing in your region or in
your bulding then buying lots of silver cloth may not be cost
effective. If you have moderate to high rates of tarnishing then using
silver cloth as a storage choice is prudent - because every time you
polish a silver object you are wearing the surface and also may be
leaving residues behind that can cause problems more serious than
tarnishing. I have seen some piece of historic silver that have
literally had all the details polished away and with polish residues
that cause permanent loss of surface due to etching and corrosion.

Silver cloths work because they contain materials (such as copper
thread) that react to the sulphur in the athmosphere and react with it
before it can contact the silve object - there is also a line of
anti-tarnish plastics with reactive copper than was developed for
sensitive electronics that you can make into ziploc bags that works
very well (static intercept).

When conservators do testing using replicant metal coupons / objects
we accelerate the effects of ageing by employing elevated temperatures
(just as Marc so nicely described) and also by adding elevated
relative humidity. Most of the things that you are trying will not
outgass sulphur rather working by direct contact (I once had a silver
object where the loose lid was held on with a rubber band, leaving a
black stripe etched across the surface). Also there may be fairly
significant air excahnge in the cooler that you are using. I would
suggest going to small scale testing such as we commonly do in
conservation, using test tubes, metal coupons (and yes the preparation
is critical!), and by adding 1 ml of water, then hanging the coupon
from the stopper, and also adding a source of sulphur (actually wool
works rather nicely), and then putting them in a lab oven at elevated
temperature, you should see results within a week or so.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator