From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:32:40 -0400
In our previous storage facility we has two separate high density
storage systems installed at different times, both were mounted on an
existing floor and had to have the raised floor beds such as yours.

In one case we simply had a high quality plywood floor that was sealed
with a clear waterbased finished(approved by conservators), and in the
other we had vinyl tiles laid. In the plywood case it was vented for
several days before we started loading in artifacts and I don't recall
there being any problems with it. The vinyl tiles were laid in a library
system and was allowed to off gas for a couple of days before the books
were loaded in.

In both cases when we had the pleasure of vacating our storage facility
for a new one with new building in systems, there were people lined up
waiting to acquire the old storage systems as both had held up well.

What ever you choose make sure that your floor surface will suit your
needs for that room or storage system. If in a public area carpet or
tiles improve the appearance and give it that "finished" look. But if it
is a non-public area, then a sealed plywood floor should be fine. Just
take care selecting the clear sealant. I cannot remember what our was
but it held up to reasonably heavy wear for several years.

Enjoy your new storage system.

Carol Reid
Collections Manager, Archives
Canadian War Museum