From:
"Jansonius, Remko (Vizcaya)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:52:59 -0400
Anita,

I would caution against re-numbering. No matter what you do, there will
always be some associated artifact, a document, an exhibit catalog, or
you name it, that will refer to the object by its old number. It is
impossible to foresee this, and to change all those numbers. This mean
that whatever you do, the old number(s) still have to be associated with
the object. This in turn means that re-numbering in fact means adding an
additional number.

I am dealing with a collection that has three types of numbers
(depending on what it was added to the collection, partly.) An object
may have only one number, or two - and then any combination out of those
3 possible numbers. In the collections database I maintain all three
numbers. The one unique record number is derived from (and auto-entered)
from one of those three number fields, where one number takes precedent
over the other two. If that number doesn't exist, the second, etc.

Again, I would caution against re-numbering retro-actively. Depending on
the size of the collection, it can be very time-consuming and can create
a big mess.

My two cents ...

Remko