From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:34:11 -0400
Good Morning Todd,
I am sending you the verbaitim 2006 Code of Ethics for the Staff of the Pink
Palace Family of Museums.  You may be interested to to note that
the "primary inspiration" for this CofE was the AAM Code of Ethics for museum
workers, which dates from the the 1920s.  Please note that this CofE is for
the folks (paid and unpaid) who work in the museum.
Here it is ...please scroll down....
Best Wishes,
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
www.memphismuseums.org

Pink Palace Family of Museums
Code of Ethics
December 4, 2006
Introduction:
Any statements in the Pink Palace Family of Museums¡¦ Code of Ethics covered
by the City of Memphis Personnel Policy are subordinate to City of Memphis
Policy.
The Mission:
The Pink Palace Family of Museums inspires visitors to learn how history,
science, technology, and
nature influence the lives of people of the Mid-South region. Through the
stewardship of rich
collections, thought-provoking exhibitions, and engaging programs, we
encourage our diverse
communities to reflect on the past, observe the present, and shape the
future.
Preface:
The Pink Palace Family of Museums is grounded in the tradition of public
service. We are organized as a public trust, holding our collections and
information as a benefit for those we were established to serve.  Employees
and volunteers of The Pink Palace Family of Museums are committed to the
mission related interests of the public it serves. The law provides the basic
framework for museum operations. As a nonprofit institution, the staff and
volunteers comply with applicable local, state, and federal laws and
international conventions, as well as with the specific legal standards
governing trust responsibilities. This Pink Palace Family of Museums Code of
Ethics takes that compliance as given. But legal standards are a minimum. The
employees and volunteers must act not only legally but also ethically. The Pink
Palace Family of Museums Code of Ethics outlines ethical standards that
frequently exceed legal minimums.
Loyalty to the mission of the Pink Palace Family of Museums and to the public
we serve is the essence of our work, whether volunteer or paid. Where
conflicts of interest arise - actual, potential, or perceived - the duty of loyalty
must never be compromised. No individual may use his or her position in our
museums for personal gain or to benefit another at the expense of the
museums, its mission, its reputation, and the society it serves.
Public service is paramount for the Pink Palace Family of Museums.  We affirm
the Pink Palace Family of Museum¡¦s chartered purpose, ensure the prudent use
of its resources, enhance our effectiveness, and maintain public confidence;
strengthening our work and the contributions of the Pink Palace Family of
Museums to society ¡V present and future.
Governance
Pink Palace Family of Museums governance in its various forms is a public trust
responsible for the institution¡¦s service to society.  The City of Memphis and
Memphis Museums Inc. through its contractual agreement protect and
enhance the museums¡¦ collections and programs and its physical, human, and
financial resources.  The employees, volunteers, and the museum¡¦s governing
authority ensure that all these resources support our mission, respond to the
pluralism of society, and respect the diversity of the natural and cultural
common wealth.
Thus, the Pink Palace Family of Museums governing authority ensures that:
ƒÓ   all those who work for or on behalf of the Pink Palace Family of Museums
understand and support its mission and public trust responsibilities
ƒÓ   the staff and volunteers understand and fulfill their trusteeship and act
corporately, not as individuals
ƒÓ   the collections and programs and their physical, human, and financial
resources are protected, maintained, and developed in support of our mission
ƒÓ   the staff and volunteers are responsive to and represent the interests of
society
ƒÓ   the staff and volunteers maintain the relationship with staff in which
shared roles are recognized and separate responsibilities respected
ƒÓ   working relationships among trustees, employees, and volunteers are
based on equity and mutual respect
ƒÓ   professional standards and practices inform and guide our operations
ƒÓ   policies are articulated and prudent oversight is practiced
ƒÓ   governance promotes the public good rather than individual financial gain.
Collections
The distinctive character of our museum ethics derives from the ownership,
care, and use of objects, specimens, and living collections representing the
world¡¦s natural and cultural common wealth. This stewardship of collections
entails the highest public trust and carries with it the presumption of rightful
ownership, permanence, care, documentation, accessibility, and responsible
disposal.
Thus, the Pink Palace Family of Museums ensures that:
ƒÓ   collections in our custody support our mission and public trust
responsibilities
ƒÓ   collections in our custody are lawfully held, protected, secure,
unencumbered, cared for, and preserved
ƒÓ   collections in our custody are accounted for and documented
ƒÓ   access to our collections and related information is permitted and
regulated
ƒÓ   acquisition, disposal, and loan activities are conducted in a manner that
respects the protection and preservation of natural and cultural resources and
discourages illicit trade in such materials
ƒÓ   acquisition, disposal, and loan activities conform to our mission and public
trust responsibilities
ƒÓ   disposal of collections through sale, trade, or research activities is solely
for the advancement of our mission. Proceeds from the sale of nonliving
collections are to be used consistent with the established standards of our
discipline, but in no event shall they be used for anything other than
acquisition or direct care of collections.
Human Remains     The unique and special nature of human remains and
funerary and sacred objects is recognized as the basis of all our decisions
concerning such collections-related activities promote the public good rather
than individual financial gain.  Competing claims of ownership that may be
asserted in connection with objects in our custody should be handled openly,
seriously, responsively and with respect for the dignity of all parties involved.
Personal Collecting     Personal collecting is allowed only under the following
conditions.
ƒÓ	Employees are required to inform the Administrator of Programs of
personal acquisition of objects of interest to the Museum¡¦s no less than two
weeks of their purchase;
ƒÓ	The Museum has the option of purchasing the object(s) at the price
paid by the employee.
ƒÓ	This policy does not apply to objects acquired before the employee¡¦s
employment by the Museum.
ƒÓ	Bequests and genuine personal gifts are exempt from this
requirement.
Programs
The Pink Palace Family of Museums serves society by advancing an
understanding and appreciation of the natural and cultural common wealth
through exhibitions, research, scholarship, publications, and educational
activities. These programs further our mission and are responsive to the
concerns, interests, and needs of society.
Thus, the Pink Palace Family of Museums ensures that:
ƒÓ   programs support our mission and public trust responsibilities
ƒÓ   programs are founded on scholarship and marked by intellectual integrity
ƒÓ   programs are accessible and encourage participation of the widest
possible audience consistent with its mission and resources
ƒÓ   programs respect pluralistic values, traditions, and concerns
ƒÓ   revenue-producing activities and activities that involve relationships with
external entities are compatible with the museum¡¦s mission and support its
public trust responsibilities
ƒÓ   programs promote the public good rather than individual financial gain.
Relations with Other Museums
Acquisition of artifacts and specimens     If another museum has the
acceptance of a gift or the purchase of an object or collection of objects
under negotiation, The Pink Palace Family of Museums knowing of such
negotiations may not, ethically, make an offer, either for whole or part of the
collection , until the  first museum contacted has reached a decision in the
matter. Where other museums may be interested in the purchase of a
collection in whole or in part, the highest ethical standards require that we
cooperate through correspondence, conference, or otherwise toward the
consummation of the purchase.  The museum should cooperate by exchange,
sale, or otherwise so that a very rare object or specimen may be placed
where it can best be studied and kept in association with related and
associated objects.  The museum should not corner the market by refusing to
dispose of duplicate specimens to other museums. The museum should not
release significant specimens until after they have been studied and we should
make those studies as promptly as possible so that an early distribution of
material may be made.
Sharing Information     The Pink Palace Family of Museums will always
courteously and willingly give, in as far as the rules and regulations of its
governing authority permit, any information regarding its finances, methods,
and researches which may be asked of it by another museum. That museum to
which the information is given shall make use of it only for its own individual
needs and not for publication or to make money except by permission. A free
exchange of facts between museums is highly desirable if museum are to
render their best service to mankind.
Relations of the Director to the Staff
Duty    It is the duty of the director to see that members of the Pink Palace
Family of Museums staff
work under as pleasant and healthful conditions as it is possible for the
museum to maintain; that they
be paid a suitable salary based on their training, length of service, and faithful
performance of their duty;
that they be accorded proper credit for work they do either in whole or in
part; and that they be given
every opportunity for advancement within the organization or for service in
some other museum.
Fairness    Certain rules are necessary in the Pink Palace Family of Museums.
The director should
consider the welfare not only of the institution but also of its employees. Fair
rules should be impartially
and without exception.
Loyalty    A Pink Palace Family of Museums employee should be loyal to the
director, the museum, and
the governing authority it serves. Personal criticism may readily become
disloyalty and it is better that
an employee sever his connection with the museum than feel disloyal to it or
the director.
Employee Relationships
Outside Employment     The City personnel manual regulates outside
employment by the staff
of the Pink Palace Family of Museums to prevent conflict of interest.
Employees must abide by these
rules.
Civility     Among all the staff and volunteers in the Pink Palace Family of
Museums there should exist a goodwill, and a friendliness in regard to each
other.
Mutual Respect     With many people working together in close contact, the
staff of the Pink Palace Family of Museums should have a mutual respect for
each other¡¦s personality, intelligence, feelings, and work.
Responsibility     A Pink Palace Family of Museums employee is responsible for
the work s/he is engaged to do: s/he should keep in mind that his first duty is
to care for the collections in his custody. S/he should not allow her/his
personal interests to interfere with her/his duties to the museum and the
public.
Respect for Authority     The director is the final authority. The director may
ask for suggestions and advice from members of the museum staff to help him
toward a final decision and all Pink Palace Family of Museums staff members
should respond to such requests respectfully and professionally.  An
employee¡¦s attitude toward the museum¡¦s director and other museum officials
by whom s/he is employed should be one of respect for authority.
Note to the reader:     The Pink Palace Family of Museums Code of Ethics is
adapted from the Code of Ethics adopted by the Board of Directors of the
American Association of Museums in 1925 and 1993.
.......END of Code of Ethics...........