From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:35:22 +0800
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free webzine compendium,
read weekly by 7,400 readers in more than 156 countries

Note to our Readers: The web hosting provider that we use is having problems
and this means that our front and jobs pages are temporarily located on
another server. Some of our links to other sections of Global Museum may not
be working as we would wish and we aplogise for any inconvenience

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Earliest Gunshot Victim in New World
Forensic scientists in Connecticut said the position of the round holes and
some minuscule iron particles showed that the person most likely was shot
and killed by a Spanish musket ball

**  Scholars Race to Recover a Lost Kingdom on the Nile
Some archaeologists theorize that the discoveries show that the rulers of
Kush were the first in sub-Saharan Africa to hold sway over so vast a
territory

**  Museum bids to beat the beetles
More than 1,000 specimens in Norwich Castle Museum's natural history
collection are to be placed in a giant freezer because they are infested
with the larvae of carpet beetles

**  Attenborough's Picassos on show
A collection of Picasso ceramics owned by actor and director Lord
Attenborough has gone on display in Leicester

**  Expert closing in on mystery shipwreck
Queensland Museum maritime heritage senior curator Peter Gesner said the
theory that the first European explorers of Australia were Spanish or
Portuguese was "all cloak and daggers

**  Father fibs fly during museum visits
Father doesn't always know best, according to the folks at a Washington
museum who say dads can be dead wrong when they explain the displays to kids

**  Tate chief backs free admission as Tories do U-turn
The head of the Tate defended free admission for national museums and
galleries today as the Tories were forced into a swift U-turn on the issue

****  GREAT FARES & DEALS FOR 2007! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations. CLICK HERE
http://www.museum-traveller.com
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Thousands Of Pearls Found In Shipwreck
Salvagers discovered thousands of pearls in a small, lead box they said they
found while searching for the wreckage of the 17th-century Spanish galleon
Santa Margarita

**  Saddam's golden gun goes on display
The Australian War Memorial accepted a golden Tabuk rifle from the
Australian military, which in turn received it from allied U.S. troops in
thanks for taking part in the Iraq war

**  Lincoln museum gets vast collection of items, including famed hat
The collection was put together over 35 years by a California woman named
Louise Taper, who says it's time for all her Lincoln memorabilia to "come
home" to Springfield

**  Historic Gun Fragment Found Inside Whale
An unsuspecting whale-hunting crew in Barrow, Alaska, discovered a bomb
fragment in a 130-year-old bowhead whale they caught this spring (with
audio)

**  Smelly package leads to national post office museum evacuation
District of Columbia police bomb technicians X-rayed the package and a
hazardous materials team inspected it before determining that it contained
nothing dangerous

**  Museum seeks help for mammoth excavation
A Wyoming museum is seeking volunteers to help excavate the remains of a
mammoth that may be one of the largest and most complete ever discovered in
the state

GLOBAL PANDEMIC NEWS - New Blog Format, Live News Feeds & Information on the
spread of Bird Flu'    http://www.pandemic-news.info

**  Smithsonian Board Raps Own Knuckles
Burke's resignation came on the eve of an independent report that sources
said would criticize her extensive outside activities, including highly
compensated corporate board seats, academic appointments, a federal
commission that oversees Medicare, and numerous nonprofit organizations

**  Tate misses out as fabled collection goes to US
Britain's long-held hopes of acquiring for the nation an extraordinary
collection of Constable, Gainsborough and Turner masterpieces have been
dashed

**  Endangered Species List Edited To Fit Poster
World Wildlife Fund president Carter S. Roberts said Monday that his
organization was forced to pare down the list of endangered species so that
it would fit on a three-by-two-foot poster to be distributed to schools and
private donors

**  Really love your work, darling
That such an unheralded picture, painted by 17th-century Dutch artist Frans
van Mieris I, could arouse widespread public interest by suddenly
disappearing is nothing new, since this is one of the recurring ironies in
the long and colourful history of art theft.

**  Troops Get Archaeological Playing Cards
The Pentagon is sending another deck of playing cards to troops in Iraq -
this time showing some of the country's most precious archaeological sites
instead of the most-wanted former regime officials

**  Major medical museum opening in London
Amputation saws, sex aids and works of art by Leonardo da Vinci and Andy
Warhol are among the items on display at a new medical museum previewed in
London

**  Standards in Museum Care of Collections
MDA is pleased to announce that Standards in Museum Care of Collections
series

**  Morris Museum Awarded Prize for Sassona Norton Sculpture Book

**  Museums and Community Engagement

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, Podcasts, Museum Accredited
Courses, Products & Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml