From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:44:42 -0400
I don't know the staffing structure of your organization, nor its specific
bylaws around governance, but if you have a professional Executive Director
who is hired (as opposed to a Board member), this committee head (is he also
a Board member?) may be violating governance procedure.  Usually, day-to-day
operations are the responsibility of the staff chief executive (usually an
Executive Director, but possibly another title).  The Board should not
meddle with their authority.  If they have a contract, it may specifically
state something to this effect.  The Board is supposed to deal with more
global governance issues, and some sort of legal pressure may be possible
against the offending person.  This depends upon your specific situation.
If you have a Board President and an Executive Committee (assuming that this
person is not the Board President), it would seem that they would want to
support the opinion of the staff, particularly if that opinion was
unanimous.  But small towns can be tricky, with what one Getty educator
called the "dysfunctional politeness" of many museum Boards.

If this is not possible, and staff does not want to lie down in front of the
train, think big picture.  It is unlikely that this person will be involved
with the organization for many more years.  When they lose interest (or pass
on), things can be changed.  In fact, museums have to change continually if
they want to meet their mission to educate.  It may even be possible to
facilitate changes while this individual is still involved, as after a few
years, their passion for this particular exhibit may have waned.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)