Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:15:13 -0500
From:
"Claudia J. Nicholson" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
The first two questions are:  where is the director?  And, where is the
Board?  If they are not weighing in on the proposed exhibit plans, then you
have bigger trouble than just the rich guy trying to tell his story.

Someone has to speak up for balance in your plans, and I'm presuming that it
cannot be you.

If the committee head cannot be made to see that devoting 86% of your
available exhibit space to tell his story is excessive, then can the board
remove him?  It is always difficult to "fire" a volunteer, especially one
that is flush with cash, but it sounds necessary.

And permanent exhibits are never truly permanent anyway.

If you cannot do anything about this exhibit juggernaut, there are other
ways to show potential donors that you value what they've given you.  If
your collection could potentially be of interest to scholars, promote it to
them, and make your county historical society a key place for scholarship.
Encourage students working on History Day projects to visit and use your
collection. Beef up your website (or create one), showcasing some of you
most important stuff.  Write articles yourself on the wonderful stories that
you collection can tell.  Incorporate 3-dimensional artifacts into your
educational programs so that visitors can encounter more than what you are
able to show on a regular basis.  It is possible to overcome a large,
limited permanent exhibit with donors.  (Plus, you can always tell them that
by keeping them off exhibit will preserve them way longer than if they were
put on exhibit for 10 years . . . It doesn't work with every donor, but
appeals to those with a desire for immortality.)

When you're given lemons, SOMETIMES you can make lemonade.

Good luck,
Claudia

--
Claudia J. Nicholson