From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:51:52 -0800
Theresa,

I would also caution you about calling these objects "archaeological".
If they were excavated in a proper and systematic excavation as
archaeological datum then they are "archaeological". If someone went
out and dug them up (pothunting) or they were acquired through a
dealer or collector then they are artifact / objects that were once
from an archaeological context that is now forever gone.

Due to ethical considerations that are akin to the concerns about
illegally excavated and traded antiquities many museums have a
provision in their collections management policies that prohibits the
acquisition of archaeological or excavated objects unless they have
been systematically and scientifically excavated and if they comprise
a whole collection instead of one or several arttifacts that have been
separated from the others.

It is especially important to have a clear and unambiguous provenance
to ANYTHING that comes into your collections. What if some of these
artifacts were illegally excavated from Federal or State lands? If you
did not do due dilligence then you were party to the trade in stolen
objects and real violations of the Antiquities act.

Caveat Emptor

Now perhaps this is not applicable to you. But I do get more than a
little suspicious when I hear of "archaeological" objects coming from
"donors".

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey