From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 09:12:17 -0700
Well there are several issues here that will take some research and thought.

First, although the object may be old enough to not be covered by
copyright you do have some control over several aspects of its use.
Also, this sounds like an historic object - a decorative arts or
social history or folk art type and not an art object per se.

Also, as an aside, if you own a work in your instituion that is
covered under current copyright law, you may not be legally entitled
to reproduce it without the permission of the artist/creator or their
heirs, unless it is an expressly comissioned work for hire where all
ownership and rights and expressly rights to copy were transfered to
you.

If this compnay has used one of your photographs to sell this, or a
photogaph of your object itself, then the use of that image may be
subject to your permission. Also, although anyone can copy anything
they see, depending on the language used in the advertisement they may
be liable if they are saying or implying that this is an offical or
sanctioned reproduction.  And there are also legal differences between
a "copy" and a "reprodcution" - the latter implies that they have had
access to the object and some sort of offical dialogue about it.

Many years ago Colonial Williamsburg created a licensed products
program for offical reproductions and many of the larger museums and
institutions have similar offical product lines. Part of this is a way
of creating a brand, but an equally important part is to also create a
legal category for the reprodcution of their museum objects and art.

I would argue that is better serves you to NOT have your name
associated with this business as any bad things that may happen
between the them and customers may transfer to you. Plus it sets a bad
precedent to let someone get away with using your name without a
rigorous review and approval of the product that you would want to
have in place to carry your name on it.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey