From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:48:20 -0700
Candace and others --

For folks interested in historical/biographical
documentary filmmaking look for a copy of Ken Burns's
America by Gary R. Edgerton. New York : Palgrave,
2001.
268 p., some good illustrations, a Burns videoography,
an extensive bibliography, pages of notes, etc..

Edgerton's purpose is to provide a critical analysis
of Burns PBS documentaries in an effort to understand
his phenomenal impact on documentary films and popular
history.  In the process he takes a detailed look at
the workings of Florentine Films and follows each
program from conception to funding to production to
broadcast (and subsequent awards.)  So even though it
is not a handbook, it provides a great deal of insight
into the workings of the whole process.

It provides a unique insider's take on working with
PBS stations, CPB, corporate sponsors, etc.

As a first step, it would be a good idea to decide if
you want to produce a short documentary that is shown
to visitors to your museum and at outside events (like
Rotary Club meetings and senior centers) or if your
subject demands a fuller treatment and should be
broadcast.

The closest PBS station is a good starting point --
even with your own production company, ask for a
meeting with a producer there because they'll have
certain requirements.  Unfortunately, you are most
likely going to be told to find the money since PBS
stations have very limited budgets but their interest
in the project might help loosen pursestrings.

What about local cable television?  Depending on their
contract with the municipality CATV providers
generally make a channel available and help with  some
aspects of production.

Then there are the local network affiliates -- I think
the FCC requires a certain amount of local public
service to be provided in order to maintain a license
so check there.

Nearby schools with film departments are definitely
worth talking to -- perhaps a collaboration would be
worth pursuing.  This approach will appeal to
potential sponsors who want to support educational
activities.
A friend who is an archivist and president of her
synagogue is working with the Film Dept.at the
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee to make a
documentary on 19th/early 20th century Jewish
settlement in rural Wisconsin. PBS stations around the
state will air the program.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI