From:
Christa McCay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:50:16 -0500
Hello all,
I have a question about museums that have a costume collection for use
in Living History and other events.  Obviously these are reproduction
pieces made as closely as possible to the originals.  My question is
how do museums keep track of these costumes and their accessories if
they are going to be used outside of the museums domain meaning events
like trunk shows or events outside of the museum?  Do you have a sign
in/sign out sheet so you know who is taking the costume and why and
when it was returned?  I am just wondering because we unfortunately
have had some staff take costumes from the costume closet and return
them dirty or missing pieces like belts and hoops.  These are museum
property and I want to make sure that the museum gets these assets
back the way they are supposed to be.
Any input would be great and anyone can reply to me off the list.

Christa McCay
Registrar
Marietta Museum of History
www.mariettahistory.org