From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:05:14 -0400
I hope that you'll put both digital images of  documents as well as
transcriptions on line. (Take a look at the way the Library of
Congress handles this http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html). Any
serious researcher will want to get as close to the original as
possible.)

  Having transcribed my share of manuscripts from the 13th to the 20th
century in several languages, I know how easy it is mis-read
handwriting, jump to conclusions about spelling and content, and make
elementary mistakes like skipping lines. Good transcription is a lot
like good oral history--the more the transcriber knows about the
context, the better it will be. So you need someone with knowledge of
the period, place, subject matter,  handwriting/abbreviations, and
plenty of patience. If possible, get two people to do it so they can
check each other.

Once it is done, please be sure to announce the availability of the
material to the history of medicine community.

Karen Reeds
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Guest Curator
Come into a New World: Linnaeus & America
Exhibition, February 15-July 1, 2007	LAST WEEK!
American Swedish Historical Museum, Philadelphia  215--389-1776
http://www.americanswedish.org/
http://www.americanswedish.org/linnaeus.htm

609--279-9420

cc: Robert A. Vietrogoski, Head, Special Collections, Smith Library,
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey  (which also holds
material on the history of osteopathy)   [log in to unmask] (973)
972-7830 FAX (973) 972-7474.