From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:59:21 -0400
Any materials considered safe for use in exhibit cases is also appropriate for
storage environments. Start with the National Park Serivce (USA) web site:

The Exhibit Conservation cd-rom
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/products/cons/ex-con-guidelines.htm

In the US, many wooden storage structures are made of clear poplar sealed
with a waterborn sealer. Poplar is a stable wood and not acidic. Exhibit cases
are often sealed with a product called Marvl Seal or are faced with Formica
(tm), also a stable product.

Best of luck

Diane Gutenkauf
Director
Robert R. McCormick Museum

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:20:12 -0700, Oscar Gaona <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I'm forwarding this message from two colleagues:
>  ------------
>  Receive a cordial greeting from the conservation team of the Gold Museum
of Colombia, South America.

>In this moment our museum remodels its installations, inside the current
process of transformation, the Museum is interested in renovating the wooden
drawers (made of plywood) that during more than 20 years have been used to
storage the gold work collection.

>To carry out this change, we have begun investigating on conservation
materials. Until the moment we have not resolved the problem of which
material should be used to replace the plywood but we are making trays with
sheets of expanded polyethylene (Jumbolon or Ethafoam), with the form in
negative of each object that help to organize and protect theme inside this
boxes. Each box can contain up to three of these trays.

>In spite of the fact that the plywoods are not advisable for the
conservation, until now, our gold work objects have not suffered any type of
chemical or biological deterioration. The wooden drawers have been extremely
resistant but, in the face of their potential chemical instability, we want to
study other possibilities. For such a reason we are interested in knowing your
experiences, suggestions, recommendations or new contacts.