From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:00:06 -0400
Hi Erika

Several easily available sources could help you, one from the National Parks
Service and one from the National Association for Museum Exhibition (NAME)

From NPS, follow this link to a group of resources on exhibit conservation
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/products/cons/ex-con.htm

From NAME, you can order a copy of the journal "The Exhibitionist" that
focuses on exhibits and conservation. (www.name-aam.org) Look for the
Publications link on the left and then scroll down to to the Fall 2001
issue "Designing for Conservation" Ordering instructions are on the web site.

One short answer to your question is: clear poplar is a good wood choice, oak
is a really bad one as it is an acidic wood. Look for low VOC paints and sealers
and allow them to off gas for several weeks, 6 would be ideal.

You can laminate the interior of the case with Formica (yes, Formica) for a
fairly neutral surface that will seal against wood off gassing. As for venting
the case, you need to balance that against dust or insect infiltration.

Your concerns should also center around how stable the garments are, how
bright the lights are, and how consistently the temperature and humidity can
be maintained.

You might also look for the NPS Conserve-o-grams. They're online and a great
source of brief, easy to use, information on preservation and exhibition for
many objects.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html

Diane

Diane Gutenkauf