From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:44:05 -0700
I would just gently observe that dunking any object or artifact into
"mineral water" is not excatly non-intrusive, and since myself and my
colleagues in conservation spent a lot of energy and time in advising
people NOT to expose their objects to elevated moisture RH let alone
water, this would obviously conflict with that.

Some specific concerns. Mineral water is often effervesant and
contains dissolved CO2.  Carbon Dioxide in water forms carbonic acid
and thus makes the water acidic. Also mineral waters often contain
dissolved minerals and their ions in solution, such as sulphur, again,
not a compound that is good for metal objects. Also, be mindful that
corrosion often initiates in the micro-cavaties and crevices in a
metal object's surface, and even though you may have dried the object
with a cloth, there is still trapped water that can be the source for
corrosion to initiate. To thoroughly dry a metal object you either use
a chemical to dewater it or use sufficient heat to evaporate it off,
both techniques that invovle some measure of experience and skill.

So, I think that specific gravity might first seem to be an attractive
approach but not for historic and museum objects.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator