From:
"Susan L. Maltby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:44:08 -0400
Polyester (e.g., Mylar) is one of the best materials for storing
notes.  Some archival catalogues carry some in a limited number of
sizes.  Atlantic Protective Pouches
(http://www.atlanticprotectivepouches.com/) are a good supplier.  They
can also make custom holders.  For fragile notes I recommend putting
them first in a light weight inner folder which is then slipped into
the pocket.  The inner folder can be easily made using sheets of
polyester & a bone folder.

Please note that PVC is a _resin_ not a plasticizer.  PVC is short for
polyvinyl chloride or "vinyl" as it is commonly called.  It is
availble in a plasticized & unplasticized form.  The plasticized form
is most decidely unarchival as the plasticizer, a phthalate, leaches
out over time & causes copper alloy coins to corrode & it is also an
excellent solvent for a number of inks.  It is quite oily & can stain
paper.  Unplasticized PVC looks a lot like Mylar.  Most conservators
do not consider it to be "archival quality" due to the presence of
chlorine in the chemical.  As such, I advise that its use be avoided
particularly given that there are lots of safe options out there.  Any
supplier should tell you what the enclosure is made from.  If they
don't know then I suggest shopping elsewhere.

Susan Maltby, Conservator
Maltby & Associates Inc.
_Coin World_ Columnist - "Preserving Collectibles"
Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Programme/FIS
Univeristy of Toronto
416-921-2877