From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 13:11:45 -0700
George,

There are several things you need to keep in mind when storing and
housing lead objects and lead soliders in particular. But you first
need to determine how accessible you want these soliders to be.

Lead objects are extremely sensitive to attack from organic acids -
especially acetic acids that are either from contact with wood and
paper products or outgassed. So , keep anything acidic away from them.
Also lead soliders are often painted and that paint is more than
likely is only partially intact. On any metal, if a coating is
present, the forces of electrochemical reaction and corrosion are
greatly magnified in any exposed areas - and that includes pinholes.
So you really need to make sure to try to keep relative humidity
levels low, temperatures moderate to low, and no acidic materials at
all.

Acid-free board boxes sound good (as long as they are really
acid-free) and do not use buffered boad. I would recommend using
volara polyethyelene foam. You can lay a sheet down and if necessary,
using acid-free hot melt glue, build up a couple of bumpers or layers
to fix the soliders so that they don't roll around. Or you can tie
each solider in place with acid-free cotton twill tape.

If you are using a steel storage cabinet just make sure that the lead
objects are isolated from contact with any other metals and that the
cabinet is powder coated or totally free of any outgassing that may
come from painting during its manufacture.

Also, be mindful that in handling lead objcts that you should wear new
dispoable gloves - and always wash your hands after handling as a
precaution. The main problem from lead are the lead oxides that can
powder and then find routes of entry from eating or wiping your eyes,
etc.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey