Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Pope, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:16:19 -0400
I think it's a good discussion for the group as well. It's certainly a difficult one, filled with emotion. But it is a debate that museum professionals can, and should, be having. Something I haven't seen in a post is the question of the creation museum actually being a museum. I haven't been there, but get the idea that there isn't actually a collection held or displayed there. Is it even a museum (or a, for want of a better word, theme park)? There was a short discussion a while ago on what makes a museum based on another collection. Creation/Evolution debate aside, is it even a museum? That is a discussion appropriate for this group.

I agree that the owners of the place should be able to show and say what they want as a basic right of free speech. But free speech doesn't mean unchallenged speech. And when arguments are made that equate a belief or faith with science, then it's certainly appropriate for scientists and other experts to weigh in and remind us that faith and science are, indeed, two different animals altogether. Or that the use of the word "theory" means something very different to scientists than to the rest of us.

Personally, I think the whole idea of the place to be ludicrous and silly, but I find the discussion around it invigorating. Argument on both sides isn't stopping the free flow of information - it is encouraging one of the best things that free flow has to offer - debate.

Nancy