From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:54:47 -0400
This question is in the realm of discussions about how "non"  - profit
is a nonprofit?

I would like to hear what your organization's practice is about
incorporating staff costs into the budget for an event or educational
program.

Do you include staff time as a budget line item, for activities that
support your mission?

If yes, are you able to price an event or get specific financial support
for an event that directly offsets staff costs?

If no, how do you account for funds to pay the staff salaries?

In the past, we've been directed to plan budgets with the expenses being
the "out of pocket" variety - cost to print the program, buy the
advertisement, mail the confirmation letters, hire the crossing guard,
etc. Staff costs were not directly assigned to the event, program or
activity, but were considered covered by our general operating funds.

Now we are assigning staff hours and their costs to each specific
activity. This has meant that a number of events that were seen on the
positive side of the ledger in the past are now seen as in the red.

One interesting effect of this new practice - the directive to spin off
some of my responsibilities to staff with a lower salary rate, to make
the events more cost effective.

I know we live in a time of "pay your own way" - just wondering how
small or large institutions are expressing this in your event or
activity budget planning.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
Rochester, NY
(585) 546-7029 x12

www.landmarksociety.org

The Landmark Society of Western New York
1937-2007  - Serving for 70 years!

Our mission is to discover, protect, and revitalize
the architectural and related cultural heritage
of the Rochester region, and to educate and
inform our community about that heritage.