From:
Becca Hiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:21:44 -0600
Our two cents worth,

The Santa Fe Trail Center is a museum first and foremost but...because
we do not have the word "museum" in our official title people often have
no idea.  We had a visitor not to long ago who stopped in and said that
he passed this place several times a year on trips and finally decided
to stop and find out what we were.  He was not the first nor will he be
the last.

This highlights the connection that people make with the word "museum."
I think that if an institution cares for and exhibits objects, educates
the public, and promotes preservation...in a traditional way or
cyberspace or any other way...then the word museum will go a long way to
alerting the public to what the organization is and what it does.  And
with all the things we have to compete with every word counts.

For every visitor who comes in and asks us what we are ten more are
probably driving by and wondering...

Becca Hiller
Santa Fe Trail Center