From:
Ron Carnegie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:15:51 -0500
   I think you will find that photography will work on its own, just like
any other art form.  At least it will if you choose your images well.

   Another option however, may be to bring in photographers.  Let them
display the equipment and discuss the process.  I don't know where you arte
located, but I know a few photographers across teh country who practice some
of the earlier processes.  In fact wetplate is going through something oif a
revivial presently.  There are even a few daguerrians out there.

    Photography's history starts certainly in the early 19th century, one
could argue late 18th century.  This was all as experiments however.
Photography was not an accidental discovery.  Several men were activly
engaged in trying to create it.   The first proven, succesful photograph
dates from 1826.  This image was taken by Joseph-Nicephore Niépce and still
survives.  There are a few claims to even earlier photographs, but never
proven.

    What happened in 1839, was the presentation of the first practical
photography (Niépce's image had an exposure time of eight hours). Daguerre
had already perfected his process in 1837 however.  Of course there is also
Fox's method.

Ron Carnegie
Wet Plate Photographer (mid 19th century)