From:
Alexis Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:08:09 -0500
This thread of discussion has particularly interested me because I am
one of the (seemingly rare) females who goes to museums/historic sites
alone.  I think it would be interesting to see why an individual chooses
to go to a museum alone versus in a group. Many ticketing/tour systems
provide survey capabilities that could begin to collect this sort of
information. I do not know that it is a question typically addressed -
similar to going across borders "are you traveling on business or for
pleasure."

I travel for business. If I have a weekend free in a town I am visiting,
or a half day to triangulate I will often do historic house tours.  I
have discussed my "independent" traveling experiences with many other
female business travelers and have found that they typically stay
retreated in their hotel rooms unless a customer goes out with them. I
do not typically visit museums or historic sites when I am at home,
unless I have guests or friends in town who request such an excursion.
It is possible that the fact that more men travel for business then
woman has an impact on this scenario.

I would agree that safety concerns for woman traveling alone are
typically an issue that prevents them from braving the process of
visiting a museum. I would be more apt to visit a site that offered
group tours rather then show up to a more remote site. And I would also
think twice about having a personalized tour provided by a male tour
guide. However, I also typically call ahead to arrange the most
convenient scenario.

Alexis Parker
Consultant
Jacobson Consulting Applications, Inc.