From:
Alexis Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:48:52 -0500
I have personally visited cemeteries (individually and with family)
through out my life.  I have relatives who are avid with genealogy and
often go through cemeteries to look for references to a family member
that they may not be able to locate in paper records (destroyed due to
fires, floods, never being written).

As an adult, I have taken tours of cemeteries often attached to "ghost
walks" though my interest has always been the historical significance of
folk lore/ghost tales handed down and the implications of their
meanings.  My sister and I also contemplate the meanings behind
increases in the burial numbers during certain years (epidemics, wars,
moving patterns, etc.) whenever we visit cemeteries. These are always a
wonderful reminder of how far science and technology has advanced to
increase our life expectancy.

I think cemetery tours could be a vibrant and interesting opportunity
for many museums - especially if local history and genealogy can be
referenced and explained in the burial patterns. I would love it if more
of the cemeteries in older historic sites provided supplementary
materials that told me more about such things as the epidemics and life
styles/lengths  that are reflected on the tombstones.

Alexis Parker
Consultant
Jacobson Consulting Applications, Inc.
Helping non-profits work smarter