From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:15:11 -0600
Laurel,

The Ulrich did exactly this about three years ago.

We had an extensive physical mailing list, actually multiple lists, which

was eating up a significant part of a shrinking state budget. For several

mailings we made a strong note of soliciting e-mails from everyone on the

list, then shifted to an e-mail version. We maintained a small print run as

well for a while, for all those tecnologically reticent individuals, but

eventually dropped that as well.

Now our newsletters are entirely through e-mail, which allows us to send

them whenever and as often as we please. We still mail opening invitations,

catalogs and other printed materials to our member and media lists.

So far the response has been very positive. We request e-mail addresses

from new memberships, and other people can sign up for the newsletter on

our website without necessarily needing to be a member. They do not get

member benefits, but it helps keep more people informed.

Contact me off-list if you need more detailed information. I can put you in

touch with people who know much more about it than I.

Have a great holiday.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Laurel

             Spencer-Forsythe

             <lforsythe@RUTHME                                          To

             RE.ORG>                   [log in to unmask]

             Sent by: Museum                                            cc

             discussion list

             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject

             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Re: Email newsletters

             12/19/2006 04:56

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I’d like to hear from those who have been involved in shifting from mailed

newsletters to emailed versions. One factor we are considering is to limit

our newsletter mailing list (now quite extensive) to members only. This

might be achieved in a phase-out process that would stimulate new

memberships.

I will welcome input on your experiences, successes and challenges in

making a complete or partial transition to an e-newsletter.

Best regards,

Laurel

Laurel Spencer Forsythe

Executive Director