From:
"Ellerbee, Genevieve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:45:16 -0400
We maintain a smallish reference library that the curators use (and members of the
public are welcome to use, but that doesn't happen often).  We purchase books
ourselves, but we also have a "Give-A-Book" program with a wish list that is
very popular with the members.  If a member (or anybody else) donates a book,
we put a bookplate in the book and our office manager keeps a rudimentary
database because the donation goes into the board reports (and the members
like to know their donation has been noted officially).  These books are all
reference books and not accessioned.

Up until recently, the library has been catalogued, but rather crudely; however
one of the library staff members has kindly taken us on as a pet project and is
cataloging and labeling the books properly.

We do have historic books, but we try not to accept many of them anymore because
they're supposed to go to the archive in the building, not us.  (We do accept them if they pertain
to an object in the collection.)  The ones we have are accessioned and entered into
the database and may go into a period room.  In theory, these books could be made
available to a researcher who made an appointment, but I don't think it's ever happened.
Additionally, none of them are particularly rare or impossible to find elsewhere.

Genevieve Ellerbee
Associate Registrar
Daughters of the American Revolution Museum
Washington, DC
202-628-1776 x 331
fax: 202-628-0820