From:
Laurel Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:52:51 -0400
As a "youngish" professional, I encourage all of you to be frank with your
interns and young employees.  Part of being an intern is supposed to be
learning about the work environment, and appropriate dress is part of that.
You are, in the long run, helping these young people to know that they
should not go out on their first professional interviews in low-rider pants
and plunging-neckline tops.  If they have a problem with that, maybe a
museum career is not for them.

I would have same-gender staff deal with dress code issues...not only is the
situation more comfortable for both parties, you can avoid potential
harassment claims.  At a previous job I frequently dealt with dress code
issues with our female teen volunteers for my male supervisor.

-Laurel

Laurel K. Weller
Museum Educator
Mütter Museum
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Phone:  215-563-3737 x203
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]