Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:15:00 -0500
Good Morning All,
At the Pink Palace Family of Museums, we addressed this issue with an
internal memo from me to the staff in September, 2002.  The key issue is
what is "appropriate."

Here is the text of that memo.....

1.)	I have notice over the past couple of years -- and it has been
brought to my attention on several occasions -- that some of us have
been wearing clothing on the job that many people (especially our
customers) could describe as inappropriate and unprofessional.  I am
writing to you to go on record -- that I expect the staff to wear
clothing that is: appropriate to each employee's job duties; consistent
with maintaining a safe workplace; and presents a positive and
professional image.

2.)	What is "appropriate?":		The employee's job duties and
the situations that the employee might find her/himself during that day
determine appropriateness.  Employees are expected to exercise good
judgment when determining what clothing is appropriate for that day's
work. .  If the supervisor deems it necessary, supervisors will assist
employees in determining what is appropriate.
	Here are some general examples of what I mean:
		1.)  Employees working outside in inclement and
difficult weather (i.e. Lichterman Nature Center or, Coon Creek Science
Center); or in dirty and dangerous work (i.e., Exhibit Dept. workshop)
should wear clothing that is consistent with safely and comfortably
performing their tasks.  These types of employees normally do not come
in contact with the public.  Such employees could wear shorts
(reasonable length) and short sleeve shirts due to hot weather; or, blue
jeans when digging in the CCSC quarry or doing trail maintenance work at
LNC....for example.  Such employees may need to wear clothing that does
not hang or is loose, to prevent clothing from being entangled in power
and shop tools.
		2.)	 Employees that meet the public (whether
frequently or infrequently) should wear clothing that presents a
high-level of professionalism.  Such employees should wear business
attire.  No blue jeans or shorts of any length should be worn by such
employees.  LNC and CCSC, and other outdoor assigned staff that meet the
public may wear shorts and other warm weather clothing when required by
local weather conditions.  Some employees may choose to keep such
business attire (suit and tie) in their office for a necessary "quick
change."  Some front line employees are required to wear Pink Palace
Family of Museums Logo clothing (i.e. IMAX Theater staff).
		3.)	Business Casual Friday's means wearing one of
the Pink Palace Family of Museums Logo clothing.  No blue jeans.  Denim
or polo shirts are permissible if bearing the LNC, PPM, Planetarium, or
IMAX logos.
		4.)	All employees should show up for work wearing
clean and ironed clothing.

3.)	Employees may ask their supervisor to assist them in determining
what is "appropriate" clothing.

4.)	Also, supervisors will coach their employees as to what is
"appropriate" clothing.  Of course, I am available to assist supervisors
in such determinations.

END OF MEMO

I hope this helps.....
Wesley S. Creel