From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:22:56 -0400
Screening is a printing process. The screen is a piece of fabric with the
text outlined like a stencil. The text is ink that's forced through the
letters onto the wall. It can be expensive and it's getting harder to find
true silkscreeners. It can be quite beautiful howeve removing the screen
printed ink involves solvents or repainting the wall. It isn't something
your host museums can do themselves.

Often museums use vinyl letters adhered directly to a painted wall. Applying
vinyl letters takes some practice but anyone can learn to do it. You can
have a sign shop cut your text and set up text strips so you can do the
application.

For a traveling exhibition going to small museums I recommend you have text
panels produced and avoid both silk screening and vinyl letter applications
unless you're pretty certain the host museums have both the blank painted
wall space for the text and the ability to apply it.

Hope this helps
Diane Gutenkauf
Exhibit Works, Inc.
www.exhibitworks.com