From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 09:41:53 -0500
      Beyond the obvious constraints of space and budget, I think
that there are two that deserve more attention than most museums give
to them. The first is the amount of time that the visitor intends to
spend in the museum. At the Smithsonian's National Museum of American
History in Washington, DC, we learned from visitor surveys that most
of our visitors intended to see two other Smithsonian museums on the
day that they visited us, which meant that they were trotting though
our museum's corridors at about 70MPH. We tried to design exhibits in
such a way that they would be lured into them and persuaded by what
they saw near the entrance to revise their schedules and slow down.
Of course, this might not be a constraint in a museum that is the
only attraction in town or that is a sole destination.

      The second, and perhaps far more important because it is a
universal constraint, is the amount of information (or
misinformation) about the subject of the exhibit that the visitor has
in his or her head when they enter the exhibit. At the National
Museum of American History, we tried to get at visitor's
preconceptions through surveys and focus groups and even by studying
the way that standard history textbooks treated the subject, but I do
not think we were ever entirely successful. Yet I am convinced that
what the visitor brings into the exhibit is the most important factor
in effective communication with exhibits. We just need to devise more
effective ways to get at this.

      To give one example - several years ago the National Museum of
American History opened an exhibit about the Star-Spangled Banner,
the flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore during the British
bombartment in 1814, the sight of which inspired Francis Scott Key to
write the poem that became our national anthem. The flag itself, an
enormous banner 30' x 36', was the centerpiece of the exhibit. A
prominent introductory label identified it and explained what
visitors were about to see, and subsequent labels explained that it
had been made in Baltimore in 1813 by a lady named Mary Pickersgill.
There was a portrait of Mrs. Pickersgill and a copy of her receipt
from the government for payment for the flag in the exhibit. Yet
after the exhibit had been open for six months or so a visitor survey
revealed that slightly more than half of the people who went through
the exhibit thought that they were viewing the first American flag,
the one allegedly made in 1776 by Betsy Ross, an event for which
there is absolutely no historical evidence. The myth of Betsy Ross
(which has been repeated in innumerable school textbooks) was so
powerfully established in visitors' minds that it distorted what they
saw in the exhibit.

      I hope that these thoughts are helpful to you.

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis, Texas