From:
Micah Zender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 00:39:01 -0400
This is a very good list that Jay provided.

Being a provider of interactives for Museums, the following are questions we ask before begining a
project:
- Who is this for ( target audience / age range )
- How is this to be used ( as a conversation tool, social interaction tool, tour guide, a game? )
- What area of the museum is going is this going to impact the most ( education, curation,
membership?! )
- What is the definition of success ( vague, but a question that should be answered )
- What are you going to do to refine / maintain this ( consumer understanding, community
building )

Those might help to validate the list provided by Jay. (below)

The following are design research categories that we apply to interactive:
- Ethnographic Segmentation
: age
: gender
: race
: economic
: literacy

- Cognitive Interpretation
: intellectual
: emotional

- Causal Factors
: attraction to
: direct impact from

- Objectives
: educational
: cultural
: informational

Our goal with interactive development is to take things from information, to knowledge.
Using the knowledge provided we leave it to the users to find wisdom from that knowledge.

The following formula helps us to create, and to plan interactive projects.
Data -> Information -> Knowledge -> Wisdom
To Clerify...
Data - the stove is 350 degrees
Information - the stove is hot
Knowledge - the stove will burn me if I touch it
Wisdom - don't touch the stove!

I hope this helps. We try and catagorize the types of works that we do, but often are forced to do
so by client type (living history museum, science museum, art museum).
Developing a project that's research funded often forces us to categorize things simply due to the
nature of the grant application process!

The people on the board here are very smart people, and I find myself humbled to participate in
an area that I know and love.

Micah Zender
micah at zender.com

Zender + Associates Inc.