From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:21:46 -0700
Greetings Sarah,

Apologies if this thread was specific to anthropology museums.  After
all, contemporary art centers and anthropology museums serve radically
different purposes, hence, audiences.

We have about 15,000 visitors each year.

Sadly, even though we charge no admission and are centrally located (in
the downtown), I have trouble attracting K-6 groups.  Not counting our
art-making collaborative program for after-school programs, we've had
less than 100 K-6 students since this time last year.  Of course, we're
not the only show in town.  When teachers have such severe limitations
on field trips, they seem to choose the other.

As far as education staff goes, I'm it.  For larger groups of older
students (9-college), I rope the Curator of Exhibitions into dividing
the group.

I'm open to answering specific questions should you have any.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education
Salt Lake Art Center